As my birthday weekend comes to an end and its back to work tomorrow, I’d like to share 10 observations I’ve gathered over the weekend.
1. It is possible to have a birthday without a single person singing you the Happy Birthday song and totally not miss it at all. Although I kind of miss not having any candles to blow out.
2. Cookie recipes do not account for the amount of cookie dough that you eat before it is baked. I think they should subtract a few from the final count when they tell you how many a recipe makes.
3. Whole Foods is awesome and I completely made a fool of myself running around pointing at things and picking food up to admire it. Oh, and I don’t care.
4. People should get outside more often. I think they would be happier.
5. Winter is coming.
6. Time goes by too quickly, except when I’m waiting for something.
7. People should be more kind to each other than they often are.
8. Cats can see into your soul. Or maybe not, but when they stare, its creepy.
9. Do not sit in a room with a cat who is staring when you are home alone. Its extra creepy.
10. Gummy vitamins rock.
So folks who get me understand I wouldn’t typically go for the “deep thoughts” type of quotes and posts that don’t contain a fairly considerable amount of snark, sarcasm and of course, humor. Yes, I’m the person in the greeting card aisle at Target who needs to read ALL of the cards to find the one that portrays a particular sentiment without being too sappy or out of the realm of something I would say to you on any given day. So wait your turn, if I’m paying $4 for a card, I’m getting the one that says truly, it came from me, and I totally could have written it if I dedicated the time it took me to find the perfect card someone else wrote to actually writing something myself. See? Sarcasm. Told you.
So, likewise I generally come across the sea of quotes and sayings people post on Facebook and scroll on by with an eye roll or two. (SORRY!) Every now and then though, one catches me at the right moment, or maybe my sarcasm meter is a little on the low side and my guard is down. It doesn’t pass my notice that with all the “My summer was so much more awesome than yours” and “hey look at this cute thing my kid just did” pictures (I am SOOOO guilty of this, by the way, judgment free zone here, k?) and so and so is playing this fictional game and wants you to give them a fictional something or other to win this fictional war, there are some people who truly are reaching out for support, or to share, or are just…searching for something. So I thought I would swallow my snark for a second and post a quote that I came across a little while ago that happened to hit me at just such a moment. So hopefully this reaches somebody who needs it. And if not, hey, at least its not another picture of my kid, right??“Life is too short to wake up with regrets. So love the people who treat you right. Forget about those who don’t. Believe everything happens for a reason. If you get a chance, take it. If it changes your life, let it. Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would most likely be worth it.”